Sunday, January 27, 2013

timetoast

As I was searching for Web 2.0 tools, I came across timetoast.com.  This site gives you the opportunity to create timelines.  I found this interesting because my students are currently creating timelines about a historical figure.  This site has a place to write a description and upload a photo to go with the event.

One thing I don't like about this site is that you have to specify a month and day.  This would be frustrating for some of my students who were not able to find exact dates about their person.  I ran into this roadblock when creating an example timeline of Deborah Sampson.  I did not have enough information to put months and days, but had to include the event because it was relevant to her life.

My timeline can be found here: http://www.timetoast.com/timelines/deborah-sampson--21

I look forward to exploring this tool some more to see if there is anything else I can do with this tool.

3 comments:

  1. I love the idea of timeline tools. Timelines are one of the difficult things to visualize. If you do them on paper, you need a giant piece of paper to have anything that looks reasonable. This is definitely one area that computers show promise in improving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used timetoast.com as one of my tech tips this year. I thought about using it as a timeline for a novel as well as a timeline for history. There are many different things you can do with this tool. I've also used timeglider.com too that does similar things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just started to use this tool for our breakdown of the Constitutional events. The best part is you can search the already created timelines, view the timelines as text only, and include images.

    I found this to be the best timeline for the events leading up to the writing of the Constitution, and I had the opportunity to browse numerous timelines before finding the best representation.

    http://www.timetoast.com/timelines/76023

    ReplyDelete